Home insurance explained. What is home insurance?
Also known as homeowner insurance, home insurance protects your property and belongings if something happens.
It does this by covering the costs of repairing things in your home when something goes wrong, like a break-in or water leak. It can also cover the cost of replacing damaged or stolen possessions.
Recommended by experts. Our Five Star insurance rating
We've been taking care of Britain's homes for over 200 years, so we know what it takes to look after your property and possessions.
But don't take our word for it. Our home insurance has been given a Five Star rating by Moneyfacts, a group of independent financial experts.
Find the right cover for you. What type of home insurance do you need?
- Our Buildings Insurance lets you cover the costs of repairing or rebuilding your property if it's damaged by things like fire.
- Our Contents Insurance covers the costs of replacing things in your home, like jewellery, TVs and laptops, if they're damaged or stolen.
- Our combined Buildings & Contents Insurance protects your home and the things in it.
- Our high value home insurance provides bespoke cover to protect unique homes and high value possessions.
What we cover. Buildings Insurance
- Up to £1,000,000 buildings cover
- Accidental breakage of fixed glass in windows, fixed ceramic hobs, fixed sanitary ware and bathroom fittings up to £1,000,000
- Up to £200,000 for alternative accommodation
- Up to £5,000 to find and repair a water leak ('trace and access')
- Up to £1,000 for replacements locks
What we cover. Contents Insurance
- New for old replacements
- Up to £80,000 contents insurance
- Valuables worth up to £10,000 each in the home
- Up to £15,000 for alternative accommodation
- Contents in the garden up to £1,000
Need an urgent home repair? We can cover the costs of emergency repairs and call-outs
up to £1,000. Need more details?
Cover possessions such as bicycles, watches and rings when you're away from home and out and about.
Legal Expenses Cover
Cover legal costs and fees up to £50,000, including personal injury cases and employment disputes. Need more details?
High value home insurance. Cover to protect unique homes and high value possessions 1
Bespoke cover to protect unique homes and high value possessions from the people who've been taking care of Britain's homes for over 200 years.
Are you a landlord?
We provide insurance for landlords to cover up to ten rented properties and your things in it.
Important Information about our insurance services
Explains how we earn commission for selling insurance products
Home Insurance - Terms and Conditions
Provides detailed information into what's covered and what's not by your Home Insurance policy.
British Gas Home Insurance is sold, arranged and administered by British Gas and is underwritten by a carefully selected insurer. Your policy documents will show you who your insurer is. British Gas is a trading name of British Gas Services Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered in England and Wales (No. 03141243). Registered office: Millstream, Maidenhead Road, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 5GD. britishgas.co.uk